CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 6, 2011

What to do with the extra hour?

What am I going to do with the extra hour today?  Write another blog post.

Remember how I said I started this blog so I could share what I am doing in my classroom?  I am so excited to share this next thing that it couldn't wait another day -- it's that fabulous.  Well, at least I think so.

Most math curriculums encourage the use of number lines as a strategy for adding and subtracting in the early grades.  This is a great idea except for the fact that my students have trouble remembering which way to go when adding or subtracting.  

To solve this problem, I created a vertical number line.  With a vertical number line my students know that adding means to get bigger, so they know to count up the number line and subtracting means to get smaller, so they count down the number line.  It makes more sense to them than a horizontal number line and they can add and subtract basic math facts independently and correctly.


I am going to share with you both the large number line that hangs on my wall (you'll have to piece it together) as well as personal number line strips for the students.  I hope you find the vertical number line as useful as I have.




PS:  It's color coded for odd and even.

No comments:

Post a Comment